Saturday, July 24, 2010

Lusaka Low-Down

Hello folks!

Just to let everyone know, I have arrived in Lusaka, Zambia and am safely here! I cannot be on for long because I am at an internet cafe, just fyi. Our flight here was very hectic. Our group missed the connecting flight from South Africa to Lusaka so we had to stay an extra night at a hotel in SA. After another full day at the airport we finally arrived in Lusaka around 17:00 PM. Yes, they use military time.

We are all staying at US government hostile in Lusaka for a few night before heading out on a site visit to rural Zambia for three nights. Then we meet our host families that we will be staying with for the next three months, which is around the Lusaka area in a smaller village.

There are 58 of us total from the States. A good group and one I am excited to get to know better. Everyone seems very excited about what we are doing and it makes the passing time fun!

I will try and update again soon, thanks!

Brooks

8 comments:

  1. the folks in snyder are glad you made it.
    have fun and good luck meeting your new friend,
    love
    from snyder

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you made it there safely man!

    I'm sure you are as excited to get trained in what you are going to be doing as much as we are all excited about hearing about it, so I hope that happens soon. You gonna teach your host family how to high-step? I bet that would turn into the hit of the village.

    Ready for the next update already, come on you lazy ass! haha

    I am getting ready to pack up and move to manhattan, so I will be leaving our beloved Lawrence soon too. It makes me sad, but I am glad I got to spend this year with you and everyone else here man. It was the best year ever! (you know the voice). Keep in touch man, I already have the countdown started till your return!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good see a post and know you actually made it. And, it was great to hear your voice, you sound really good! Post often!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news!! Can't wait til you can see some of the country!! And meet the people!! Fun stuff!!! love, andi and jd

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried so hard but haven't been able to call you back babe. I was at a wedding when you tried me. I'm going into Verizon on Monday to try to figure something out, but after talking to a friend who works at Verizon I'm extremely discouraged. He said that right now it would cost $4.54/min to talk to you, so I need to figure something out. I'd still love for you to call me if you get another chance since I can't call you.

    Glad everything is going well, but I really wish you would just blow it off and come home.

    I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was weird the first weekend without you, Brooks. I'm sending you a letter soon! I'm glad everything is looking good for you there. :)

    You didn't have to eat brains, did you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. i cant wait to see little african children on the news spouting, no spewing 1109 phrases at the top of their lungs teach them the important things mostly the use of "would you"

    ReplyDelete
  8. You don't have to use PM and AM when using Military time Brooks... SHEESH, get facts! haha. Really good to hear that things are going well man. Well, you've already posted another update, so time to go read that one now...

    ReplyDelete