Sunday, July 18, 2010

Post One. (Real Original)

July 18th, two days from departure to Zambia. Tick..tick..tick.

Confession number one- I am very new to the blogging world, so bare with me as I stumble through this process for the first few times.

I am starting this blog as a chance to stay as connected with people back on Yankee Doodle soil as much as possible. It will be used as a means to update folks to my happenings and probably a way for me to stay sane as well! I am still uncertain how much internet access I will have in Africa, so updates might be few and far between and return responses might be limited.

Please comment! The more comments, the more motivation I will have to update my blog!

For those of you who do not know, I am heading to Zambia, Africa to work as a Community Health Extensionist. I will be leaving friends and family for 27 months to help rural Zambians become empowered with skills and knowledge to improve their general health. I will be helping to promote AIDS/HIV awareness, nutrition, maleria prevention, maternity health, and youth development. It will be from a grassroots level (I will be lecturing at local schools and health clinics) to a national level (I will also be working with non-profits, the government and national organizations to develop a health infrastructure).

Thanks in advance for any feedback or comments!

Brooks

14 comments:

  1. Good luck baby.
    I'm going to miss you like crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. JD and I can't wait to read about your experiences!! Love andi and jd

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you living at the corner of . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to read this blog's updates and find out all the cool stuff you'll be doing! Love you Brooks! I miss you already.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Completely agree with Mindy, I'm stoked to read this! Also, tell your parents to come get your car, I got excited this afternoon because I thought you were home. Uh, wrong. Bummer, you're headed to Africa. Be careful! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We almost ran out of gas on the way home from the airport! haha we thought you were going to dominate us one more time before you left, but we made it back.

    hope to find many updates because i am keeping this tab open in my browser constantly! miss you bud, hope you make it there safely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought I'd been duped when the fuel light came on and we were still only halfway home haha

    Good luck buddy and I cant wait to see what you have to say about your experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  8. teach em some great plains futbol skillzz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh BRooks,

    I am so PROUD of you. I cannot say it enough. Secretly, I just hope you HATE it so much so you can return back to the people who ADORE you, but I know it is for a GREAT cause. Please keep us all updated!

    Be safe. We all miss you SO SO SO SO much already.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so proud of what you are going to do for
    all those people. Will miss you a lot.

    auntie boy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember my first blog post about moving away to Africa.
    Also, I will no longer say "When in Rome" instead the new phrase will be "When in Zambia"

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for all the comments guys, its appreciated!

    Also, I cannot believe you almost fell for the low-fuel trick Matt and Ryan. Its the oldest trick in the book!

    ReplyDelete
  13. we miss you too. hot in snyder but had a little
    rain last nite. very, very proud of what you are
    doing for the people of zambia.


    good luck!!
    auntie boy

    ReplyDelete