Monday, October 18, 2010

Boom goes the dynamite

First of all, thanks again for all the comments everyone! If you mailed me a letter to the old address, i should still get it, it will just take a little longer. Thanks! So i have become a bigger chiefs fan since moving to africa due to their recent superb play. . . . So did they win on sunday?! Me and three other volunteers met up in the biggest town near us, called mkushi, last monday to do some shopping for our houses. We got up around five in the morning at a back packer hostel to catch the end of monday night football. It was the most american i have felt in months! Speaking of which, being in africa has made me forget about many things that americans find very important. The clock function on my phone works only occasionally and my watch broke long ago, so i have nearly forgotten the concept of time. I told a friend it reminds me of that scene from forgetting sarah marshall when the two characters are in hawaii surfing. Old roommates will know what im talking about if no one else does! Also i forgot for an entire day how old i was. A man working with me at the clinic asked me, and i could not remember if i was twenty one or twenty two. I guess it was because i am loosing grip with american ideals such as age and time. Aside from that, most everything is going well here. I am still spending my time getting acquainted with my community and greeting people. I can now cook over a charcoal brazier like it is a george foreman. I am eager to get some health groups going with in my community as well. I have joined the local football(soccer) club. We are currently playing in the champions cup. It is a bracket against other local teams with the winner receiving money i think. You should probably check out the vegas odds on our team. Hope school and work is going well there! Think of everyone often. Rock chalk.

7 comments:

  1. Unfortunatly, the Chiefs did not win on Sunday. I literally had a tear in my eye because the lost in the last 2 minutes. Sad sad. Win those soccer games so you can decorate your hut even more with the money you win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude you have 23 followers, you're almost more popular than Taylor Swift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to the chiefs game this weekend. Wish you were here to go with! Seeing as how Kansas football is severely lacking in skill this year, they're about all we have. I don't even like the chiefs. Oh well... there's always basketball. Kick some soccer booty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the way the chiefs ended the game was awful. we were all pretty disappointed to see how that went down, but good to hear youre able to keep up on the ol USA if only for a little bit though! earlier this year a little get together we had at our new place got a noise complaint (there were 5 of us in the apartment, the people above us are lame) and a cop showed up. he asked paige how old she was and she said 19 when she is currently 20. idk if she lost track of time or if thats just paige being paige, but youre not the only one! time is a crazy thing, id like to lose track of it sometimes i think. but yea it is a big ideal back here in the states so that probably won't happen anytime soon. good luck in the cup! get to take home any hardware if you win it all? that would be a nice piece of decor i would think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Zambia Independence Day! Hope you are enjoying a lot of festivities.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, I'm thinking if all it takes is for you to stay in Zambia for the TEXAS RANGERS to go the the WORLD SERIES...you may need to stay there!
    Miss ya bro

    ReplyDelete
  7. i quit wearing a watch when i moved here

    ReplyDelete