Sunday, September 26, 2010

Woo, its Official!

So, I have officially become a Peace Corps volunteer! (Insert raise the roof hand motion). I can honestly say that swearing in to become officially a volunteer was one of the proudest moments of my life. The ceremony was held at the US ambassador's house. It felt kind of like a country club...with basketball courts, tennis courts and personal pools. It felt like I was at Daddy Warbuck's residence or something. There were all the important PC officials there as well as important Zambian officials. Our swearing in picture even made the front of the Zambian Paper. I have never felt so famous in my life. Fifty two of us volunteers swore-in and all of us now are heading to our prospective provinces. Out of those, only four of us are heading to central province, myself including. There are around twenty current volunteers already serving there. PC took us shopping today for items needed for our house. Tomorrow I will be moving into my hut permanently for the next two years...gulp! I am excited to set up my new residence and start my African bachelor pad. I have several PC volunteers around me. With the closest being 15 k away, 25 k away and 30 k away. My bike will be racking up the miles (or kilometers as us Africans say). The next time we will see other volunteers from different provinces will be around Christmas time. Myself and some of my friends here are already planning a trip to spend Christmas somewhere together. Anyways, I have appreciated all the comments, mailed letters and emails. All my friends here are jealous that my friends back in the States are so solid....so keep up the good work gang! Haha. Anyways, have a great day and Rock Chalk!

8 comments:

  1. Way to go Brooks!!!!

    Hope your bachelor hut is awesome.

    We are very proud of you, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Brooks! My heart literally feels so proud of you right now. :) Although I'm very jealous that you're famous. So you're like the Paris Hilton of Africa? Jeal! I need a picture of you balancing water on your head. I sent you a letter yesterday, so expect one soon! I'm writing you an email tomorrow as well. Love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gratz Brooks@.. I feel you need an African name, or do they just refer to you as 'Echinsu Ocha'?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude...ur a stud
    Spread some Perry love to the homeland

    ReplyDelete
  5. congratulations man! i couldn't be more excited/proud for you.

    will you still be receiving letters at the same address?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Brooksie!! I'm so proud of you for doing all of this and sticking with it! We all miss you back here and football season just isn't the same without you walking "to the games" by yourself ;) I can't wait to hear more about all of your adventures! If you run into Mufasa tell him I said hello! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mufasa died Amanda Simba is king now.

    ReplyDelete