Thursday, August 12, 2010

Winter in the summer

First and foremost i would like to dedicate this post to megan maloney, who recently celebrated her twentieth birthday. Sorry i was not there for it! Secondly, i want to thank everyone for their comments. It is great to know people are thinking of me back in uncle sam land. (matt i still cant believe you have moved to manhattan ha ha). To those of you who are unfamiliar with african winters (this includes me until a month ago) they are cold! I would never dreamed i would be so chilled in a continent associated with heat. I wake up every morning to cold air where i can see my breath. On a few mornings i have lost sensation in my feet i have been so cold ! The arctic blast ensues when i ride my bike thirty minutes to training every morning. However, the scenery makes it all worthwhile as i cross steams and hills and valleys. Usually the sun is coming up at this time and it is a sight most people would pay thousands for. For the past few weeks i have been living in a small agricultural village near lusaka so i have just been getting acquainted with my host family and immediate neighbors. However this saturday we are all going to lusaka to go to a mall there and go shopping and hopefully get a small glimpse of the big city. Then i will finally be able to get on face book again. I almost forgot what it was! The other volunteers that are with me are great. They are all very passionate about being here. It has also eased some of the home sickness knowing that we are all in an unfamiliar place. To storm, the only thing that has gotten me through a few nights around the campfire has been third eye blind. Thought you would appreciate that ha. Tomorrow we have our first language test. We are all very nervous about it. I wish they accepted the american dollar here because if so i might have to slip my teacher an andrew jackson. Anyways i am off to fetch water and kill a chicken with my host parents (seriously, im not even joking) ha ha. Shalenipo mukwai!

10 comments:

  1. Keep on posting as often as possible, I love reading your updates! I'm curious exactly where you are staying. I know you said it was somewhere near Lusaka, how far and which direction is it and what is the name of the village? Also I think you had said that you would eventually be placed in "your own" village after training, is that right? Make sure and let us know when and where you move to. Good luck on your test, I'm sure you will do fine on it, and good luck with everything else as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make the African skies seem so breathtaking. Next year I will have to see for myself. I am anxious to hear how the chicken tasted. Good luck on your test.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's always good to hear from you. i keep everyone in snyder posted. i know you will do good on your test. wish i could see those beautiful sunrises and sunsets. you are always in our thoughts and prayers. good luck with the
    chickens.

    love
    auntie boy

    ReplyDelete
  4. You killed a chicken?! You old sailor you! Damn I miss you. Have you received any of my letters yet?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ryan- i am staying with a host family for the first three months during training in a village about forty minutes east of lusaka called kabeleka. I stay in this village with the rest of the peace corps trainees until mid september, when we all leave to various parts of zambia for two years. From that point on, i will be living in a village doing field work in a house by myself. Mindy- i got your first letter yesterday! It made my day. It is awesome to know you are thinking about me back im old lawrence! Be on the lookout for my letter. Everyone else- thanks for the comments and support!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brooksie! I'm so honored I got a post dedicated to me. You missed out on quite the day! It wasn't the same without you calling me first thing in the morning to sing happy birthday but don't worry, I survived! Look for my letter too. Miss you bunches, be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe I moved to manhattan either man, haha. I feel safe saying that on here cuz none of the manhattan guys have yet to post. That bike ride you go on sounds fantastic, our bike rides right now kinda suck, haha. While you are in winter, our summer is kicking my ass. I've been helping big bear lately and it has been 100+ degreee weather for a few weeks now, bleh. Let us know how the language test goes! We just got our internet re-figured out here (goes to figure I have nothing but problems so far here in manhattan) it seems to be on the mend a lot. Anyways, good luck on the test man, I am certain you will do fine. Catch you later bro!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great to hear the latest news!! Congrats on passing your language test!! Have you seen any guinea fowl or franklins? We usually have those in Tanzania...andi and jd

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like the good things out weigh the struggles of learning all the new things, and the reward of these struggles your going through will I'm sure be more than worth it! Keep it up man! If only you would have taken your old blow dart gun from when we were kids, you could hunt a chicken in no time!

    ReplyDelete