Monday, August 9, 2010

Testing testing. . .

Panono panono. Im Bemba, this translates to "bit by bit". This is something the locals say often and is something that can be deduced from their care free attitude and appreciation for taking things slowly but surely. During training, i am trying to adopt this panono panono state of mind. Peace corps training is one of the most intense experiences i have ever gone through. For this reason, keeping my sanity has been trying at times. It has been a challenge to learn a new language in am unfamiliar environment, but one that is exciting at the same time. As the days progress my language improves and we learn more about our tasks here. We now know how to teach about malaria and aids and can assist at local clinics and schools with these issues. I can already say i have seen some of the most beautiful things i have ever witnessed. Today we had been inside a school all afternoon learning about african nutrition and when the session had finished, we walked outside to a sunset with all the colors of a crayola colored pencil box in it. It was a "wow" moment. The foods i am eating with my host family are good. They are mainly rice or nshima. Which is a maize grounded and boiled in water. It is a taste i am still acquiring! To everyone back home, i miss you all and think of you often.

6 comments:

  1. sounds like things are coming along over there. you're missed back home as well. keep up the good work sir, try to wrestle down a lion when you're bored. that will keep you entertained

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see you are back! We are learning too about Zambia, ponono-ponono.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I was just about to say "Glad to see you are back!" and then noticed that someone had just said that and didn't want to seem like a fool...so here we are now...moving on. Learning all that new business I am sure is trying, as well as exciting. I am certain things will start becoming easier as you get more accustomed to them though, nowhere to go but up! I always think to myself "no way could I handle what Brooks is going through right now" you are certainly a better man that I, haha. One of my friends from Central Christian spent like 8 months in Africa last year...maybe a couple years ago and he always talked about how beautiful it was there. I am hoping that rather than hearing about it from everyone that (sooner rather than later hopefully) I will be able to make it over there and experience some of it with you man! I too find myself thinking a lot about what you are doing over there, it is probably a daily ordeal, and I am always happy to see when you update so that I can get a little insight. I finally got around to getting a letter in the mail too! I know it's a little slow, but I hope it finds you well man, take care buddy! Miss you man!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to hear from you!! Aren't the sunsets beautiful? I can't wait to see the sunset in October!! We usually have "sudsa" a malt-o-meal kind of food. It is thicker than our cereal but not much taste. They have it at every meal. I taught 7th grade math one afternoon to about 50 students. That was definitely fun!! Another day I worked on the ABC's with about 100 first graders in one room. One teacher and 100 kids!! Fun days!!! love you, andi and jd

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you're enjoying life down there. I know it's hard, but it will get easier and if anyone can handle something so intense, it's you Brooks. I wish I had been there to see the sunset by your side. I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been a while since I've had internet, so first off i want to say: Orientation? More like borientation...right? haha Glad to hear that things are going well for you, I was thinking about you having to learn a new language on the spot and thinking how much different and more difficult it must be than just learning in a classroom. Keep up the good work and take care

    ReplyDelete